Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

extreme anxiety and lymph nodes.
Jun 8, 2009

Hi, I'm a 19 years old male, about 7 months ago I had sex for the fist time with a girl my own age I met at a club, we had unprotected vaginal sex that lasted for less tan 15 seconds, since that night I been driving my self crazy that I may have HIV but the simple fact of getting myself tested just drives me crazy and scares me to death, the only symptom that I have experience are swollen lymph nodes and that was just recently like 2 months ago that one appeared on my neck, I had it for about 4 weeks and then it went away and like 2 weeks ago another one has appear also on my neck wich is making me even more and more scare, paroid and simply destroying my mental peace, please help me in what should I do and what do you think of my case. Really looking forward to your answer, thank's.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

Unprotected sex (even brief unprotected sex) places you at some degree of risk for STDs, including HIV. Consequently I would recommend a single HIV-antibody test three months or longer from the date of your 15 seconds of hanky-panky. Your "symptoms" are not at all worrisome for HIV.

Since you are old enough to have sex, you're also old enough to man-up and get tested! The odds are all in your favor that you did not acquire HIV from this brief wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am event. However, the only way to know for certain (and to calm your ongoing fears) is to get tested. So just go do it. You'll be glad you did. Also, I'm confident that, after experiencing the anxiety associated with this episode, you have learned a valuable lesson and will never ever put yourself at risk for HIV again.

Dr. Bob

Previous
risk with HIV + roommate will make donation. do I need PEP?
Next
Test came back Reactive

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.