What should I do if I had unprotected sex with an HIV+ person?

I had unprotected insertive anal intercourse (I topped)with my partner who is HIV+. After having sex we noticed blood on both of us. Should I take post exposure prophylaxis? What are the current reccomendations? Are there any know statisics about this?

Post-exposure prophylaxis (PEP) would be recommended for the type of exposure you describe. Please note PEP should be started as soon as possible (and no later than 72 hours) after exposure. The more time that passes from the time of exposure, the less likely it is that PEP will be effective in preventing or aborting HIV transmission. I would suggest you visit the closest ER and get started immediately. Your partner's HIV specialist might be willing to prescribe PEP for you and follow you during the 28-day course. You can read much more about PEP in the archives. The important thing now is to get your first dose onboard as soon as possible.

Risk to inserting partner in gay couple.
Never asked.. good karma to follow + donation