Resistance

Hello Dear Dr Robert J Frascino,

I hope you are doing well. My question is, if I am infected with hiv from a person who uses drugs for many years and whose virus is already resistant to the drugs, is that mean the drugs wont help me to keep the virus under control because it's already resistant to the drugs?

Sorry for my English. Take care :)

It is indeed possible to acquire a strain of virus that is already highly resistant to many antiretroviral drugs. In fact we are seeing an increase in the acquisition of drug-resistant virus in newly infected HIVers! That's one of the reasons we now recommend resistance testing (genotype) before beginning even a first regimen of HIV medication.

you must be totally tired dr bob - part 3 - thank you
Aliens Have Pooped in My BRAIN!