Best friend with HIV

Hi i'm a 24 year old female who is studyign nursing. One of my best friends has HIV. I hate it when people act wary around a person that has HIV, and i have never in anyway made her status change our friendship.

However, about 5 months ago i developed an unexplained viral exudative tonsillits,lymphadenopathy and atypical lymphocytosis. The doctor i told me it was mono, though my mono-spot was negative, stateing that it was probabaly too early for the monospot to positive. And he said even if it wasnt , it didnt matter as it was probabal some other benign virus. So i got rest and some prophylactic antibiotics as my treatment.

Now here is my question. At the time i never asked him to check me for HIV. I have had only one sexual partner, in a monogamous relationship for a year where i knew his status. And the doctor knew this. I recently asked my boyfriend to check again to be sure and it came back negative.(though he was not too thrilled with my trust in him.).

My best friend often times sleeps over at my place.I even vaguely remember that i may have used her toothbrush at some point before i got sick, but i dont remember when exactly. I know she rinses her toothbrush after brushing. And i know she would hate if she thought she may have given me anything, it was my own stupidity really, i was sleepy.

I feel really stupid asking this question, but do you think i need to be tested? I have never heard of or seen any patients with HIV from a toothbrush. So i just wanted to determine my risk. I know HIV isnt a disease that needs to be feared as we used ot think. But still, it would suck getting it from a toothbrush..not too mention it would kill my friend if it happend.After all she went thru after her diagnosis, she is so very careful.

thanks you so much, i appreciate the input.

Your HIV-acquisition risk is essentially nonexistent. By the way, since you were the one who was concerned about being HIV infected, why did you make your boyfriend get HIV tested instead of getting a test yourself? That doesn't make any sense whatsoever and suggests you may have irrational fears surrounding HIV and/or HIV testing.

There is no medical reason for you to be HIV tested; however, if my reassurances aren't sufficient for you to shake your HIV concerns, testing may be helpful psychologically. The results will undoubtedly be negative, but if it helps you put your (unwarranted) worries permanently to rest, it may be worth the time and effort.

Worried resident...again
I'm dating a positive man, I'm negitive