Medicine University

Sorry for posting this question here. But I didn't find a perfect fitting theme. (Sorry, my english is not that goog, I hope you will understand my question). I really think you are the best one to answer me.

I'm a 4 year grade student (6 years till graduation in Brazil) in a Medicine University in Brazil. I was recently diagnosed with HIV, from a previous inconsequent relationship.

It is safe to continue my studies since Medicine graduation need a lot of pratical classes in the hospital, risking myself to get hospitalar infections? It is possible to hide this condition from my coleagues (facial wasting, fatigue), as it would be quite humilliating? It is possible to overcome the fatigue and study enough to be a good doctor? Do you know any case similar to mine?

Sorry, I know that these are not cientifical questions. I just feel lost and needing someone with a huge life experience to give me some advices. Wish to be answered someday... Thanks Dr. Robert Francino for your great work

Hello Brazilian Medical Student,

You do not need to give up your medical career because you are HIV infected. Universal precautions have been established long ago to prevent HIV transmission from patient to physician and vice versa.

As for the risk of acquiring hospital-related infections because of your HIV status, this would depend on your degree of immunodeficiency. Certainly if your CD4 counts are extremely low your risk of acquiring infections is increased. Your HIV specialist will help guide you regarding any significant risk or the need to modify your work/school-related activities and exposures.

Regarding hiding your condition from colleagues, lipoatrophy (facial wasting) is no longer a common problem. It was seen most often as a side effect of thymidine analogues, particularly d4T (Zerit) and AZT (Retrovir, Combivir, Trizivir). We try to avoid using these agents whenever possible. As you were only recently diagnosed HIV positive, you have newer antiretroviral agents from which to choose that are not associated with this disfiguring side effect. HIV-related fatigue is fairly common but often manageable, particularly once all the underlying causes are identified and specifically treated. We have an entire expert forum dedicated to HIV-related fatigue. Check it out!

Do I know cases similar to yours? Yes I do and these medical students have evolved into excellent physicians!

Good luck!

is it possable to develop HIV in anal sex? HIV TRANSMISSION BETWEEN TWO HIV NEGATIVES, 2009)
I'm already WOOO HOOO'ing thank you Robert (Bob)