Foot cramps when laying down

I am positive for 24 years and a CD4 count around low 200s while undetectable for at least seven years. I have had foot cramps from hell for about that long. When I go to bed or lay down on the couch my feet start drawing and I have to get up and stand then they stop; as long as I am seated or on my feet they dont hurt; but laying down they seem to start when I relax. It can also happen if on my knees washing the floor or weeding. This has happened for years with no relief. I have tried quinine soda, bananas and seen a neurologist with no answers or relief. This is chronic and very painful. I am not diabetic; I do have controlled hypertension and smoke for 2.5 years now. Dumb to smoke I know but even when I did not smoke it happened. I also fasted from coffee for lent and suspect caffeine aggravates it and suspect dehydration plays a part; but it happened even during my caffeine fast. Not as often but it still happened. Do you find this often in the AIDS population or is it a separate issue? Thanks Cramped feet in Buffalo.

Hello Cramped Feet in Buffalo,

This type of cramping is most likely a separate issue. However, your HIV specialist should be able to evaluate the problem for you (physical examination and some laboratory tests). Generally we can identify the cause and implement effective treatment.

By the way, I absolutely agree with you that it's incredibly "dumb" to smoke cigarettes. I strongly urge you to quit!

you must be totally tired dr bob - part 2
Ryan White funded clinic and copay