The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HIV Testing

May 29, 2009

Dear Doc, I came to know my partner about 3 months ago. We had unprotected sex since he can't get errected wearing a condom. Recently, I was diagonised +ve but he is not. I only have unprotected sex with him. My CD4 is 261 and viral load is 23600/ml. Will he get the virus from me? Can you tell how long I had been positive?

Response from Dr. Frascino


Unprotected sex is definitely putting your partner at considerable risk for acquiring HIV. In fact it's like playing sexual Russian roulette. If your buddy has difficulty using condoms due to erectile dysfunction, he could try a cock ring that restricts blood flow at the base of the penis. Alternatively he could try Viagra or Cialis. He will need HIV-antibody tests at both three and six months from the date of his last potential exposure.

As for how long you've been HIV infected, it's somewhat difficult to know with certainty based solely on a single test result. However, if your CD4 counts are in the mid-200 range, chances are you've been HIV positive for a number of years, perhaps 5 to 10. I would suggest you read through the information in the "Just Diagnosed" chapter that can be easily accessed on The Body's homepage.

Good luck!

Dr. Bob

Stupid and Scared
masterbation with a flashlight, + donation////possible hiv risk? (MASTURBATING WITH FRUITS , VEGETABLES AND OTHER OBJECTS, 2009)

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint