Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

doubt when I got infected 20 or one yrs ago
May 26, 2009

Hi I have been marry for 19 yrs now I gave blood donation and found out I was hiv pos.I havnt been with anyone else only my wife she got tested came out neg. So can this have been in my body for 20yrs or less that. I got operated on my gall bladder 2 yrs ago . I can even think if something happen there.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

If indeed you've had no HIV-exposure risk over the past 19 years, your chance of being HIV infected today and not realizing it (not having symptoms) would be so remote that it's essentially nonexistent. The HIV-screening tests performed at blood donation sites are designed to protect the blood supply, not diagnose HIV disease. The sensitivity of the screening tests at blood donation centers is set such that they don't miss any true infections. However, because of this extremely sensitive testing mechanism they will capture some false-positive results. That means you could test HIV positive on this type of test, even though you are in reality not HIV infected. Your notification from the blood donation site is not a diagnosis. Rather it's a statement that for whatever reason your blood tested positive and you need additional tests to ascertain if indeed this is a false positive (highly likely in your case) or a true positive. Your private medical doctor or any HIV-testing center can perform the appropriate tests to quickly ascertain your true HIV status. Read through the testimonials in the archives of this forum. We have an entire chapter on blood donation as well as a chapter on HIV testing. You should find this information reassuring.

I'm here if you need me, but I strongly doubt you will! Good luck!

Dr. Bob

Previous
Darn you!!
Next
Tired and scared military bound individual.

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.