The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HIV and the mentally disabled+donation

May 26, 2009

I have a cousin that is hiv+ and mentally disabled. He has a habit of spitting and blowing in peoples face. Today he pretended to give me a kiss, but instead he blew in my face and I felt his air enter my mouth and probably some spit. Maybe even entering my eyes. Would this be an HIV risk to me and others? What if he has bit his lip or tongue and blood was mixed in his spit... would there be enough blood to infect?

Donation of $40 will be sent via paypal. Thank you so much for your time.

Response from Dr. Frascino


The HIV-acquisition risk of your cousin spitting or blowing in your face is essentially nonexistent. The chance that there would have been a sufficient amount of fresh blood mixed in with his spit is so remote that it's essentially nonexistent. HIV testing, while always available, would not be specifically recommended for the potential exposure you experienced. If my reassurance is not sufficient for you to shake your fears or concerns, you could consider getting a single HIV-antibody test at the three-month mark. The result will undoubtedly be negative. But if it helps to put any residual fears permanently to rest, it may be worth the time and effort psychologically.

Thank you for your donation to the Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation (

Be well. Stay well. Please give your cousin a hug from me.

Dr. Bob

How is Magic Johnson "CURED"?
Big weenie guy once again (6 WEEKS VS 3 MONTHS VS 6 MONTHS, 2009)

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint