The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary


May 25, 2009

Dr Bob,

I have quite severe CVID, and through reading your archives am aware that this could cause a false negative with an ELISA test. As such, I took a DNA-PCR & P24 (the latter as a DUO test with ELISA) test - both negative on two occassions, several months apart.

My question is this - I am unable to find any info on the DNA-PCR's ability to detect CRFs. I live in Europe where there are more genetic variations than in the US.

I know it may depend on the test used, but I'm quite nervous about this and no one at the clinic I attended seems able to help - ie. you deal with a general std Dr unless diagnosed positive.

The result report (for the DNA) reads as follows

HIV-1 ENV proviral DNA (gp41 specific, Group M, A-H, & O) Not detected.

HIV-1 LTR proviral DNA (LTR region, Group M, A-H, & O) Not detected.

HIV-1 gag proviral - Not detected.

HIV-1 pol proviral - Not detected.

My common sense would tell me that there would be a crossover in DNA, but I'm obviously no expert!

Thanks a million!

Response from Dr. Frascino


You are correct: Since CRF are in essence combinations of various subtypes, there is indeed homology (genetic overlap). At this point you've had the most sophisticated testing available and I would advise you believe the results. You are HIV negative.

To avoid this conundrum in the future, just be sure to never put yourself at risk!

Be well. Be safe. Stay well.

Dr. Bob

Should I be tested?
How is Magic Johnson "CURED"?

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint