Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

The heat is (bah bah bah bah) on...
May 20, 2009

Hey There Doc:

How are ya? quick question. Had protected vaginal sex with a woman I had known for about 10 minutes in a 3rd world Caribbean Country. She provided the condom, which I assume had been in her purse. The next morning, I looked at the condom wrapper and the little box (it was like a 2 pack). It was not a brand I was familiar with, but was indeed latex. However, the box looked real beat up, as if it had been through the washing machine, or in a car or a wallet for a long time. Here is my question. I know we are warned not to use condoms that are kept in such condition. Is the reason for this that the safety of the condom will be compromised in ways which we can not detect (i.e, an unseen erosion of the latex which may allow HIV, etc. to pass through), or does it just make them more likely to physically break, which would obviously be drastic and detectable. My condom appeared to be intact, so do I need to worry that perhaps the condom had been compromised in some undetectable way? I don't think this question has been asked before, and I do understand that if she was HIV+, my odds of contracting it even if the condom did totally fail would only be around 1 in 1500 or something like that. Please let me know. The phrase the condom failed is rather vague.

Thanks.

Mike

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi Mike,

Excessive heat (such as being in the glove box of your car, which is parked out in the Caribbean sun all day) can denature latex condoms making it more likely they'll rip and tear. It would not cause invisible increased permeability to HIV. In other words if your condom remained intact, there is no reason to worry despite its beat-up wrapper.

By the way your own condoms are like your American Express card: You should never leave home without them!

Dr. Bob

Previous
Can I practice my Woo hooo, I will donate 100 more...
Next
Night sweats paranoia

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.