$20,000 in testing. Am I good?

Hi From New York, Dr Bob your a kind sole, thank you for your humerous, intelligent, straight forward answers. I actually beleive i have read each and every q/a in the archives over the last few months(scary). I know more about hiv than i ever cared to. I had a condom fail with csw while in china on business in late december. 16 days later my penis glans became super red and irritated followed by bad classic ars symptoms(fever,nausea,vomiting,diareah,nightsweats,nightmares,hsv-1 outbreaks) 20 days after breakage, and it lasted a week or two. I tested at 8 weeks and was completly convinced I was hiv and hsv-2 positive. But as you always say symptoms are unreliable. I was negative of all std at 8 weeks, but I developed problems during this that have yet to go away (5 months now). Mycontinuing symtpoms(bad full time tremor,fatigue,naseau,muscle and joint pains,sore neck/armpit/groin nodes/recurrings hsv-1 on lips. I know youll say my testing has been excessive and unecasary, but I havnt totally fixated on HIV. My tests(all neg or normal):8 weeks hiv/rpr/cbc, 9 weeks: HEP B/C/ clym/ghoner/hsv-2/hiv abs, 11 weeks: hiv1/2 abs, rna pcr,cd4 count, 12 weeks: ana,cbc,sed rate,lyme abs,throid,b12, 13 weeks: oraquick hiv rapid/ 15 weeks: HTLV 1/2 /lyms abs/ brain mri, 16 weeks: hiv 1/2 abs, hsv-2, 21 Weeks hiv1/2 abs, rna pcr,cd4 count/cmv. (thank god i have insurance). My title am I good is just a joke. I know will say hiv is not my problem, no way no how. So my real question are 1) since hiv gets through mucos membranes, do they actually irritate these membranes in people? What could be the cause? 2) As crazy as this sounds, couldnt there be some new std circulating that hasnt been isolated? When the first aids patient came about, I bet doctors thought they were crazy hypchondriacs too right?? I Know my body, and I know something is wrong. I dont have ocd and I know im not crazy or a hypochondraic. Im sick and getting worse, the tremor scares me the most. God Bless you doc, keep up the good work.

Sick in NY>

Hello Sick in NY,

Your title "$20,000 in testing, Am I good" may be a joke but the actual cost of all the tests you've had performed may well approach that number. Yes, it's fortunate you have insurance. However, just imagine what that money could have done if used more effectively and appropriately.

You are correct: I am going to say HIV is not your problem. No way. No how. And you are also correct I'm also going to say your testing was highly excessive and unwarranted. The reason I'm saying these things is simply that they are true. Your fears that you have a new STD that hasn't been discovered yet are unwarranted. If you really have read through the archives of this forum, you should remember seeing many cases like yours. The vast majority of these folks had psychosomatic illness. Their irrational fear of HIV resulted in anxiety and a whole host of very real symptoms. I strongly suggest, in light of your million dollar negative workup, that if a thorough evaluation by a qualified physician cannot identify a physical cause for your symptoms, you should consider an evaluation for psychosomatic illness. You said you "know something is wrong." I'm certainly not disagreeing with you. Get the help you need, not more tests that you don't!

Super infection HIV+ couple
Happiness Held Hostage