HIV-2 Indeterminate

Dear Doctor,

I have tested for HIV 2 Western Blot Method, where the result has come as indeterminate (p16 GAG shown as positive) in the year 2007.

In the year 2009, i have repeated the test for HIV 2 Western Blot Method and again it shows the same results.

In between 2007 & 2009 i have tested all others tests like elisa (2 times) & Tri Dot which has shown the result as negative.

A month back, i have also tested for DNA PCR - HIV 1 and it also shows not detected.

It is almost 3 years when i have sex last (where i have a chance to get infected to hiv), can you please let me know the window period for hiv 2 person to be shown as positive through Western Blot Method.

Regards Endless

Did you have a preliminary HIV-2 EIA (ELISA) test that was positive before getting your HIV-2 Western Blot? If not, you should have! If your HIV-2 EIA is negative (as I suspect it is), there is absolutely no indication to run a confirmatory HIV-2 Western Blot!

To specifically answer your question, the window period for HIV-2 is the same as for HIV-1, i.e. three months. Your two HIV-2 indeterminate Western Blot tests two years apart would indicate you are HIV-2 negative. (You would have seroconverted in the interim if you were truly positive.)

just a simple question (please please answer) =P
Worried about episode with 2 transsexuals...