Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

ARS symptoms after 12 week negative *donation!*
May 19, 2009

Hi Doc!

I just recently (2 weeks ago) completed a test for Hep along with HIV which was all negative a little more than 12 weeks after my ripped condom fiasco (insertive vaginal, me being the male). It was anonymous here in Shanghai (I'm a foreigner living here), and I'm not sure which type of test was used. I was able to call back the same evening for the results however (and blood was drawn).

I'm concerned about some lingering symptoms. I've had about 4 small, hard lymph nodes on the right side of my groin ever since about 6-7 weeks in (they are quite apparent only upon feeling). There is also one that is larger and softer in my right armpit. I also have recurring chest discomfort almost like a chest infection that has come and gone on a daily basis for the last month or so. Then today I just started experiencing a rash on my left forearm that is consistent with an ARS rash. It is now 15 weeks after my exposure, and I'm a little concerned still. I can see that ARS symptoms are a little sketchy for timelines, and I was just wondering if I would be warranted for another check. You've given the 'ol WooHoo! for other 3 month cases in the past I see, but with these lingering symptoms, I'm wondering what's the next step for me? Your work is much appreciated and including the donation I just made, I've decided to make it a monthly habit. Thanks Doc!

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

Your negative HIV test at 12 weeks is definitive and conclusive. HIV is not your problem. No way. No how. No additional tests are warranted.

Your "lingering symptoms" are more than "a little sketchy for (ARS) timelines", they also are not consistent with typical ARS symptoms. For example the rash associated with ARS would not be expected to appear only on your left forearm! Whatever is causing your symptoms, one thing is certain: It's not HIV! Have your general medical doctor evaluate any persistent symptoms. It's possible, if no physical cause can be determined, that these symptoms might be related to anxiety induced by the scare associated with your ripped-condom fiasco!

Thank you for your donations to the Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation. They are urgently needed and warmly appreciated.

Be well. Stay well. (You are indeed well!)

Dr. Bob

Previous
Worry College Student
Next
just a simple question (please please answer) =P

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.