The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Worry College Student

May 19, 2009


I'm 19 years old male. I have no risk of HIV. But, July last year when I donate my blood, the blood bank reject it because of the blood test show Positive Elisa and Indeterminate Western Blot. The nurse suggested me to take test 3 month later. So, on november I take another HIV test. The result was Positive Elisa and Negative Western Blot. The Doctor that on charge told me, I'm HIV negative and the Elisa show false positive result. To reassure me the Doctor took PCR test and the result was not detected.

But, all of sudden I become worry again. After I read some website that positive Elisa and Negative Western Blot is considered indeterminate result. Is that true? I don't have any symptom, but around October I catch fever for 7 days, and Doctor told me it was Typhoid fever.

Please, give me information regarding my situation. Since I'm really worry and I can't concentrate on my study.

Thanks Doctor :)

Response from Dr. Frascino


The sum of your HIV tests (positive ELISA, indeterminate and then negative Western Blot plus an undetectable HIV PCR viral load) are definitive and conclusive. You are HIV negative. HIV is not your problem. No way. No how. No additional HIV tests are warranted. You can read much more about HIV diagnostic screening tests in the archives of this forum.

Be well. (You are indeed well.) Now get back to your studies!

Dr. Bob

ARS symptoms after 12 week negative *donation!*

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint