unprotected sex

i had unprotected sex with my husband who"s been hiv positive over since 1993 and has been undetected on and off dor the past 2 years.we have had unprotected sex for the past year.i tested through out that year,with negative results. question?why have i been tested negative?

The best analogy I can give is pregnancy. When couples try to get pregnant and stop using birth control they don't always conceive with their first unprotected nookie, right? In fact some couples try for years and then one day wham, conception occurs. Similarly with HIV: Not every HIV exposure leads to HIV transmission. In fact many don't. However, that doesn't mean one exposure can't lead to HIV transmission! Certainly just like pregnancy it can happen with the first unprotected sexual coupling. You mention your husband has had undetectable HIV plasma viral loads "on and off." Certainly when the HIV viral load is suppressed to undetectable levels the risk of HIV transmission decreases significantly.

My advice to you is to begin protecting yourself (and your HIV-negative status) immediately by insisting on latex condoms each and every time. You'll also need follow-up HIV tests at both the three- and six-month marks to confirm your negative status.

Stay safe and stay well.

$200 for Answer!
Help Please for a Worried Mom!