Simple Questions

Dr. Bob,

I realized that I had been asking my questions in a very complex way. I am sorry for that and I will write my question in a very simple way. Please please do answer me.

I fear that I may be HIV+ (due to an earlier risk). I know the only way to be sure is to get tested and I will get tested next month. Here, I want to ask about an incident in which I fear that I may have infected my mother (i.e. if I am +ve). I am really scared and feel alone and the thought of infecting my mother is just killing me.

I was sorting a pile of documents with my mother. Many of those documents had pins attached with them (the long sharp ones and not staple pins). These can cause needlestick injuries. After doing this for a couple of minutes, I saw noticed two minute red spots and a red line on my fingers. It is likely that I got myself stung by one of those pins while handling the papers. The two red sopts were small, like two dot marks. The skin appeared to be broken and I would feel some pain when I rubbed those spots. However, I did not see any blood and I also did not notice when I stung myself.

I was handing over the papers to my mother and it is possible that she also stung herself with the same pins almost immediately after I stung myself. Have I put my mother at risk? Sorry, I know that there are many "what if's" here but I am really worried about my mother. Aren't solid needles (like suture needles -- similar to sharp long paper pins) considered risky for needlestick injuries and aren't health care workers administered PEP if they sustain any injuries via them ?

Sometimes I feel that I may be worrying over nothing but then I do not have sufficient knowledge of all this to decide for myself. Please do help me. If my results do not turn out in my favor should I ask my mother to get tested ?

Thank you.

Simple questions, simple answers.

"Sometimes I feel that I may be worrying over nothing . . . ." I absolutely agree. You are worrying over nothing.

". . . Should I ask my mother to get tested?" No. Testing is not warranted.

You're welcome!

appreciate ur evaluation(i asked four times, no answer from u yet,Dr)
Sleepless Italian in Houston