The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Can I forget about this?

May 16, 2009


I get confused with all these different tests ELISA, Western Blot etc. The nurses didn't tell me which ones I've had anyway...

I've been with my partner for 3 years he is negative. I had sex with a condom with someone else 10 weeks ago.

I had a HIV test at local GUM clinic and the first test came back as indeterminate. So i had to go back for another blood test one of which came back negative, then from another lab mostly came back negative with just one 'part' came back indeterminate again. But they sent me on my way reassuring me that everything was A-ok.

But i didn't tell them i had sex with this other guy (protected) because i thought this was very low risk. and didn't want my partner to find out. do you think i could still be in that window period?

Response from Dr. Frascino


It's somewhat difficult to give you a definitive answer without knowing exactly what types of tests you had performed. I can only assume you had an indeterminate HIV-antibody screening test (ELISA, EIA, rapid test) followed by either a negative repeat test or negative confirmatory Western Blot. This was then followed by the test with "one part" indeterminate. I would agree the sum of these results would indicate an HIV-negative status. Despite this I would still suggest you level with your partner. Remember, strong and lasting relationships are built on truth, honesty and trust.

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Are these hiv tests conclusive after 3,6 and 11 week?

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint