Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

IMPORTANCE OF WB TEST. CONFUSSED. PL HELP.
May 15, 2009

HI DOC.

I AM 27, MALE FROM INDIA.

I HAD PROTECTED SEX WITH CALLGIRL IN JULY-2007.HER HIV STATUS NOT KNOWM TO ME. IN MARCH 2008 I GOT HERPESE INFECTION IN MY RIGHT SIDE FACE.I GOT TESTED FOR ELISA & CAME POSITIVE WITH THREE ELEISA HAVING GAP OF 2 WEEKS EACH. THEN I GET TESTED FOR VL. RESULTS WERE VL:2456, CD4:58,CD4/CD8 RATION:0.26.MY DOC TOLD THERE IS NO NEED OF FURTHER TESTING & STARTED MY MEDS. I AM TAKING LAMIVUDINE+ZIDOVUDINE & RITONAVIR+LOPINAVIR SINCE LAST ONE YEAR. MY REUSLT LAST MONTH WERE VL:UNDETECTED, CD4:216, CD4/CD8 REATIO:0.28.

I HAVE A QUESTION:

1) SHALL I GO FOR WB? IS THERE ANY CHANCE OF I AM HIV -ve AS I HAVE NOT DONE SCREENING TEST?

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

Although I agree a Western Blot should have been run after your repeatedly reactive (positive) ELISA tests, I also agree with your doctor that a Western Blot is not needed now. You are HIV positive and responding well to treatment both virologically (HIV plasma viral load decreased to undetectable levels) and immunologically (CD4 rising from 58 to 216). If you remain at all concerned, you can get a Western Blot test, but I'm quite sure the result will be positive.

Be well.

Dr. Bob

Previous
How to contract HIV (HIV TRANSMISSION BETWEEN TWO HIV NEGATIVES, 2009) (Obama Budget Would Kill Abstinence-Only Funding)
Next
How soon can acute infection symptoms appear? Part II

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.