Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Unprotected sex without ejaculation
May 15, 2009

Dr. I had unprotected anal sex with someone who I just found out is HIV positive however he did not ejaculate. Should I be tested? am I at significant risk? Thank you,

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

Unprotected sex definitely puts you at risk for STDs, including HIV. Unprotected receptive anal sex is the riskiest sexual activity from an HIV standpoint. HIV can be transmitted via pre-cum (pre-ejaculatory fluid). Consequently even though your top gun did not pop his cork inside of you, you are still at risk and definitely need to be tested. And yes, your risk is indeed significant. Because of this significant exposure with someone confirmed to be HIV positive, the CDC recommends you have HIV testing at both three and six months.

Why are you having unprotected sex? Suppose you never found out your partner was HIV positive, would you be at any less risk today? No, of course not. It's also important to note that twenty-five percent of the over-one million HIV-positive Americans have absolutely no idea they are infected with the virus! I'm always amazed that people have bareback sex and but only freak out when they find out their partner is positively charged, so to speak. Time to wise up guy! You are playing sexual Russian roulette and eventually you will lose!

Good luck with your HIV tests,

Dr. Bob

Previous
hiv
Next
HIV AND BLOOD GROUP A+

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.