Hiv - Complicaded Question.

Hi Doc =)

First, thanks for all support you have been giving for everyone here. =) Well, i had a anal intercourse on january 19th of 2009, we use condom and the condom didn't broke as far as im concerned (he use lube too), my partner ejaculated inside the condom (while was inside me). I dont know my partner hiv status. I was worried because was my first time i was doing it, so i kind of freaked out. One month later (24th of february) i did a hiv test (Elisa hiv type 1 and 2) and the test came negative. Then at april 24 (3 months and 5 days later) i made another hiv test (elisa, for hiv type 1 and 2) and also came negative. On this period i didn't have any symtoms like fever, rash, or anything like it, although i have having a sore throat for like one month now (since april 16), and my right lymp node is a little bit big (the left one is normal) but it dosen't hurt. Im also having runny nose with irritation in the skin of the nose (I think is because im pressing the nose for the mucuous go away, so the skin got dry and red.). But once again no fever, night sweats, or anything else. So i have some questions: !) If my sore throat begun on april 16 and i got test on april 25, it is possible that if the sore throat and runny nose are due an hiv infection, the test didn`t show that i have hiv while i was having smyptoms? what is the lenght of time until the acute hiv infection smyptoms to show? (i read it something like 2 to 4 weeks after exposure)

2) I don't use drugs or have any other disease like diabetes or cancer, etc. it is the three months test conclusive? (I've have it read it on many forums that in rare cases could be more than 3 months to show antibodies, but in just rare cases, if the immune system is comprimised for some disease or some drug effect).

Thank you so much, im sorry if i got some gramatical error, im not a native english speaker. Hope you can understand my questions. Thanks once again and hope you can awnser my question as soon as possible. (im actually really worried about this).

Best regards.

L.

Hello L,

1. No. Symptoms associated with acute retroviral infection generally appear between two to four weeks after primary HIV infection.

2. Yes.

Good luck!

Will you please answer...
Clammy Canuck Pt.2 (reassurance before vacay in Europe?)