Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

EXTREMELY IMPORTANT HIV TRANSMISSION QUESTION
May 14, 2009

Doc. Bob,

Do OCDers worry about throwing things away???? Please answer!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Madge

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

Actually yes, OCDers often worry about throwing something (or in the case below, "someone") away. See below. Now exactly how does this relate to your "extremely important HIV transmission" question?

Dr. Bob

Dumpster... Feb 10, 2007

Dear Dr. Frascino, I hope you'll find the time to answer this question as my anxiety is getting to pretty high levels.

I have OCD and one of my obsessions is that I might have thrown something/somebody into a dumpster. I know it's absurd, but in high-anxiety periods, I check the dumpster. This is usually a visual check. However, a few days ago, I put my hand into a dumpster to take away some stuff I had thrown away and have a look underneath it. I felt a stinging sensation as I did this. But I tried not to pay attention to it... Was it needle? I do not know. Could have been anything...

Yet I got scared that there may have been a syringe in there. I probably touched a plastic bag that was sitting next to my stuff.

The following morning, I developed a sore throat, after a day I had a little fever and some aches. Now the fever seems to have gone, but I still have some nasal congestion aches and from today diarrhea.

I am becoming increasingly scared, also because I notced a spot that could be a needle injury on one of my fingers....

I should say I live in a seemingly safe, gated neighborhood. But anybody may get HIV. Do you think I should get tested?

I should add that it was very cold below freezing. I don't know if this changes aything.

Thanks for your kind support

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello OCDer,

One of your obsessions is possibly having thrown something into a dumpster, so you go back and repeatedly recheck the garbage. OK, I've heard that one before. But throwing "somebody" into a dumpster????? WOWZA, that's really nutso! (Don't you think you'd remember chucking grandma headfirst into a dumpster without having to go back and visually inspect it????)

The chance of your being poked by a needle during your dumpster retrieval activities is remote. The chances of your being stuck by an HIV-positive syringe then become so remote as to be nonexistent.

Regarding your "symptoms" the following morning, these were definitely not HIV related, as HIV symptoms take weeks, not hours or days, to show up!

I'm glad to hear you live in a safe gated neighborhood. If your HIV anxieties and OCD get any worse, you might wind up in another kind of "gated" environment one with padded walls.

HIV testing is not warranted in my opinion. However, the option to test always remains open to you. Now go get granny out of the dumpster and stop worrying, OK?

Dr. Bob

Previous
Johnny Mathis "chances are?"
Next
Does my cat have HIV?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.