Relaxe man, its all good

Were you angry or in a bad mood when answering most of may 9th questions? You appeared yelling at some and you did not answered one sad saps question, and there was no love in your endings or/and hummorous endings, that you are trademarked with. Remember you are the the wise wizard among feebale peseants, seeking your glorious wisdom. Hope you never forget how much you inform and enlighten people, cause dumb questions get asked all the time and the dumb ones enlightened can pass it to them. Your cause and effect is great, if a butterfly flaps it wings here...... good luck and i am glad you are always here

Bad mood? Me? Nah. Angry? Well, I will admit I was more than a bit annoyed at the Hong Kong nurse who used the blood donation system to screen for HIV infection. This is unconscionable behavior from anyone. That a trained health care worker would do such a thing is even more shocking. His lame excuse that he had no other choice was particularly galling. I have no intention of being warm and fuzzy to someone who behaves in such an irresponsible manner. No jokes, no hugs, no "be well," and I refused to answer his question. Rather I advised him to contract the blood donation center and own up to his deception. I hope he followed my advice. Otherwise I would anticipate a megaload of bad karma headed his way.

HIV test in Hong Kong May 9, 2009

Hi Dr Frascino

Thank you very much for your kind attention!

I am a 25 year old male nurse from Hong Kong. I had a receptive oral (unprotected) and receptive anal sex (protected with condom) with an English man with unknown HIV status in September 2008 i.e. 8 months ago. I was worried about HIV infection afterwards although I presume the risk is very low. Since I am a nurse, I am very afraid of being recognized by my colleagues and past schoolmates in the HIV clinic so I didn't go there for HIV tests. Instead, I donated blood 2 months and 5 3/4 months after the potential exposure (I confess that it is a very bad behaviour but I really have no choice). Nobody told me my blood is abnormal so I suppose the HIV tests are negative. The HIV screening for donated blood in my country uses Nucleic acid based tests (NAT) in addition to those conventional tests. Are those tests accurate enough to ensure I am not infected? Do I need to re-test again or test for some HIV strains possibly not covered by routine screening e.g. HIV-1 group O? Thank you very much!

Again, I deeply condemn myself for abusing blood donation for HIV tests but I really have no choice. The discrimination against gay and HIV related issues is very active here in Hong Kong. I am very sorry:(

Thank you and best wishes!

I absolutely agree this is extremely bad behavior and morally reprehensible. How could you as a nurse, a health care provider, be so self-centered that you'd be willing to risk contaminating the blood supply and possibly infecting others simply because you are afraid of being recognized at an STD clinic????

The screening performed at blood banks is designed to protect the blood supply, not diagnose HIV infection.

Sorry, I don't believe you "really had no choice." I will not respond to your question.

My very strong advice is that you contact the blood donation center immediately and inform them of the circumstances surrounding your two donations. I would then advise you to see a private physician for an evaluation if you do not want to go to the STD clinic. Finally, I think you should reconsider your career as a health care professional because your recent actions indicate you are not truly interested in anyone's health but your own. Shame on you sir!

dental assistanting nightmare
Bad,preventative Mepron rash,,,is it safe to stop with low a 170 C4 countD$ count