Fear Blood in Eyes

Dr Bob,

After suffering from an occupational blood exposure, which all turned out fine, I have developed an intense fear of blood flying into my face.

This problem is particularly evident when I am in public and either speaking with a person who is making hand gestures or walking past people who are swinging their arms as they walk (as most people do, you dont see to many people walking with their arms stiffly by their sides).

I am afraid that people's hands are bleeding and that the blood will fly from their hands as they are moving them into my face.

Yesterday I was sent into a panic - I was at the shopping centre and a male person walked past me who looked like a junkie. He was within a few feet of me and I feared that blood flew off his hand which was swinging when he walked and went into my eye.

What are the HIV risks in this instance?

Also - as a doctor - do you think you would notice something like that landing in your eye?

Thanks - I know I need help and in actual fact I am booked in tommorrow with a psychologist.

Your fears of "flying blood" are totally irrational and completely unwarranted.

Make sure you keep that appointment with the psychologist!

Every Possible symptom
Safer Sex and Partner Disclosure