For World AIDS Day, read about stigma, criminalization and more >>

T Cells now below 100

I'm a 51 year old male and had PCP in 1989, when Protease inhibitors came on the market my count went into the 300 range my viral load has consistently stayed undetectable even while switching to different regimes. Abut about 3 years ago my T cells started dropping (as well as my weight) and is now below 100.

My doctor does not know why and I was wondering if you had an idea of what might be the cause. I'm taking Viread - Epivir and Kaletra.

This type of problem is difficult to sort out over the Internet, as I do not have access to your medical file, laboratory test results or a complete history and physical examination. That said, I would probably begin to investigate why you are losing weight to see if that gives a clue as to why your CD4 cells are declining (occult infection, etc.). There are also a variety of other diagnostic tests and procedures I would consider, depending on what had been done previously and what I find on your physical examination.

If your current HIV specialist isn't sure what to do next, I'd suggest you get a second opinion from another HIV specialist. Often a fresh look at the problem will reveal the cause or at least suggest a plan for further evaluation.

hiv detective
Addicted to prostitutes