The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

hiv detective

May 8, 2009

Dr. Bob, First off I want to thank you for making me the absolutely most informed patient my OBGYN has ever had! I don't think they thank you but who cares. I now go to my appts with knowledge and understanding. (more knowledge about this than they have) Here is one question I truly cannot find on your forum, however you may prove me wrong. By the way I have had many conflicting results from negative rapids to positive elisa's to indeterminate western blots so here you go...If a western blot is read as indeterminate and a person is hiv infected, how long until that test should read as positive. (I know this is no guarantee) I had two indeterminate results the second taken 30 days after the first, would this be showing positive by now? Is there a timeline with western blots? Thank you for all you do.

Response from Dr. Frascino


Generally speaking if someone had an indeterminate WB due to incomplete seroconversion, a repeat WB a month later would show a definitive positive reaction.

If indeed you have conflicting results on a variety of HIV-antibody tests, I would recommend you get a qualitative HIV DNA PCR test. Although not recommended for routine HIV screening, the PCR DNA can be helpful in sorting out unclear or conflicting HIV-antibody test results.

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Confused in Fort Worth (HIV STATISTICS, 2009)(HIV STATISTICS, 2009)
T Cells now below 100

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint