Considering Being Tested

Hello Doctor,

I am really considering on going ahead and getting tested for HIV. I was going to ask my doctor to go ahead and go with just the HIV viral load test instead of antibody testing in case of missing something. What is your recommendation on this, me going for a viral load test instead of just an antibody test? It's been awhile since my last risk. Thanks.

Randy

Hello Randy,

Quantitative HIV plasma viral load PCR testing is not recommended for routine HIV screening due to the rate of false-positives, other technical considerations and cost. The best test for HIV screening is an HIV-antibody test outside the window period.

Dr. Bob I Really Hate It
Confused in Fort Worth (HIV STATISTICS, 2009)(HIV STATISTICS, 2009)