Dr. Bob I Really Hate It

Dear Dr. Bob,

I really, really hate it when I read on here that someone has tested negative for HIV antibodies maybe more than once even, and they still have HIV symptoms! I had only one test after the 3 month mark and it makes me still doubt and worrying about the reliability of my test. Please help, don't ignore. I see where I can send a donation and will gladly do so.

T.S. in N.Y.

Hello T.S. in N.Y.,

Why all the fuss??? "HIV symptoms" are very nonspecific. They are nondiagnostic. In fact they are notoriously unreliable in predicting who is and is not HIV infected. The HIV test is the gold standard.

Are you equally frustrated every time someone who has a headache turns out not to have terminal brain cancer???

When someone with "symptoms" tests HIV negative outside the window period it means their symptoms are caused by something other than HIV. It really is just that simple and straightforward, OK?

Edward Green Harvard AIDS Project Right or Wrong?
Considering Being Tested