A QTND...or is it???? (ORAL SEX AND PEP, 2009)

Dr. Bob,

I know this is a QTND(Question That Never Dies), but in doing some rummaging through the archives, I haven't been able to find an answer to this specific situation.

Is nPEP warranted for receptive oral sex WITH ejaculation? I've seen several questions posted and answered regarding situations without ejaculation, but I haven't seen one in relation to if there is. The insertive partner is a known poz, not currently in treatment. Love the CDC, but they weren't much help, so any advice you could give would be greatly appreciated.

Thanx in advance, A.R. in OK

Hi A.R. in OK,

If someone came to the Frascino Medical Group with a history of having unprotected receptive oral sex including ejaculation with a partner confirmed to be HIV positive and not on treatment, we would encourage a course of nPEP if it could be started soon after the exposure (and no later than 72 hours). Other HIV specialists may advise differently, however. I believe most would at least offer, if not recommend, nPEP in this situation.

+ and scared
Sorry I'm Late