2 years of extreme stress!!!! How HIV can control your life!

Hi all, I am a classic example of how HIV or even the threat of being infected can change/control your life. My girlfriend had some random tests in January 2008. The results said She has been exposed to HIV virus. This does not mean she is infected but confirmatory tests need to be done. When she told me this I was shattered. Ive had some previous flings before and had sex without pre-cautions. At that time I was not aware of whats kind of test she undergo and I did not have the courage to ask her. I was feeling guilty since then that I INFECTED her, also the fact that we both were almost positive despite getting the test done. Finally due to all the stress, mental trauma and not being able to fully discuss this with her, the whole thing took total control over my life. I lost my job, drifted away from her, thinking that I infected her, gradually I lost her too. Just 4 days ago after a lot of pain and agony of sleepless nights I finally confided in a very good friend and told him about the whole thing. He said You got to get the test done no matter what I finally went ahead and got a DNA PCR test done after being sexually inactive for almost one year or more (being completely out of the window period) To my surprise the test was negative. I WAS RELIEVED!!! And after a long time I slept like a baby without having sleeping pills. I called and spoke with her regarding that. Even she got herself tested just 3 weeks ago and she was also negative (though I dont know what test she got done). The whole idea if mine is not to really ask a question here BUT to be an example of how HIV (Or the fear of it) can control your life. Come to think of it, had I got myself tested 2 years ago I wouldve been living happily married to the same girl and not losing my hair due to stress!!!! BOTTOMLINE: Get tested if youre in doubt! There is no other way out and you would have to do it sooner or later. Hope this helps ALL.

Your story is all too familiar. The archives are choc-a-block full of testimonials very similar to yours. While I agree with your overall message to get tested if you've placed yourself at risk for STDs/HIV, I do not agree with your methods! The correct test for HIV screening is an HIV-antibody test. Quantitative HIV plasma viral load PCR RNA or qualitative HIV DNA PCR are not recommended for routine HIV screening due to their level of false-positives, other technical considerations and cost. A word to the wise: Get tested but make sure you get the correct test!

Hard question
I have a weird question about HIV