Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Newly out, Found a great partner and friend ,and need Dr. BOB!
May 7, 2009

Hi Dr. Bob. Well, worried well city! I wrote you last year around January asking if any chemicals or could anything affect my HIV test, you answered and I was fine. I would really appreciate a reply, because my anxiety about this is back.! I just met a great guy,(Im a male), and finally feel like I know who I am now. I spent years in relationships with women, and with pressures from a not too understanding family,thought that was the way it was supposed to be.I had to keep my gay encounters secret, But I recently decided to be honest with myself and everyone and let people feel how they want about me, good or bad. Im happier than ever and have a great guy! Weve been dating for about 2 months, he told me he tested negative back in mid December and was negative and only has been with me and I believe him.So Well, long storey short I went to get a rapid blood test 7 months after my possible last exposure , negative. Great! Asked the counslor if a chemical I work with could give me affect my result. She said it might be possible with cross-reactivity or some other affect and couldnt reassure me i was negative. Anxiety again!Fears came back! Just love my new lover and would never ever want to put him in harms way if there is a possibility of a false negative from cross-reactivity or something like that like the counslor mentioned might be possible. That would break my heart! I love him too much and would never want to unintentionally infect him, if theres a possibility my test could be unreliable. Well, had a friend make a donation last time for me cause I was broke! So proud I can do it on my own this time for a wonderful cause! Just confused by the info I got at testing and need the truth. I can handle it. Thanks for all you do Dr. Bob!

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

The counselor at the testing center was wrong, pure and simple. Whatever the chemicals you work with, they could not cause a false-negative HIV test. No way. No how! HIV is not your problem!

Stop worrying and start WOO-HOOing.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Ignorance is not bliss
Next
Lombard Street Lover - Update

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.