Western Blot

I read that it takes two weeks to get the results from the Western Blot, but the hotline said it could come back in as little as 4 days to 1 week. Plus, I read here about false positives in pregnancy, but the hotline said there was no such thing as false positives. My OB didn't seem to know much about HIV & Pregnancy and tomorrow I go to the HIV clinic, so I want to be armed with all the knowledge I can to make sure everthing is accurate. I am not getting my hopes up either way.

The hotline said there was no such thing as false-positive HIV tests???? And your OB didn't seem to know much about HIV and pregnancy??? WOWZA! Both the hotline and your OB need an immediate refresher course in HIV basics! False-positives do indeed exist and pregnancy (or previous pregnancies) is one of the potential causes due to the development of nonspecific cross-reacting antibodies. As for your OB, I'd suggest you find a more competent physician to deliver your baby. You could also ask the HIV specialist you see to call your OB to review the basic information about HIV, HIV tests and pregnancy.

please help a worried resident
Ignorance is not bliss