What are the chances of me having HIV

Hi Dr Robert - First of all, thank you for all the great work. People like you are a blessing to the society. I will be making a donation to show my support to this cause. My question - I regularly go to the gym. The other day at the gym when I was putting the weights back after excising, I accidently peeled a litle skin from my finger because the finger came between the weights and the stand. As far as I remember it was a very minor cut and hardly any blood came out. I am almost sure that there was no blood or anything on the equipment before I used the equipment. Is there any chance of getting HIV if there was any blood from a HIV infected person before I used the equipment. I also don't remember any blood coming out of my cut (hardly a drop or not even that), but I know a lil skin was peeled off. I am being very paranoid and have started imagining things. Other than that I get checked for HIV twice every year even though I don't engage my self in any risky behavior. I am just imagining things and am very worried. Please answer my question and put my mind to ease. I will really appreciate your response. Eagerly waiting........... Thanks.

Your HIV-acquisition risk is nonexistent. I absolutely agree with your self-assessment: "I am being very paranoid and have started imagining things."!!!

Why do you get checked for HIV twice a year if you have absolutely no HIV-risk exposure? Take a read through the information in the archives of this forum paying particular attention to exactly how HIV is and is not transmitted. If that and my reassurance are not sufficient for you to shake your paranoid fears, I suggest you consider getting some counseling. Living life with such irrational fears must be very uncomfortable and is totally unnecessary. HIV is not out to get you!

Thank you for your donation to the Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation (www.concertedeffort.org). It's warmly appreciated.

Keep up those gym workouts. Not only are they good for your general health and very effective at reducing stress: they also make us look better naked!

Be well!

Thank you!
HELP! I need somebody. HELP! Not just anybody!