Circumcision at age 37

Dr. Bob,

What would you say to my decision to get circimsized at age 37? I'm straight, live in Africa and I want to decrease my risk of getting HIV. By the way , who thought up the idea of circumcision? Zander

Hi Zander,

What would I say to circumcision at age 37??? One word: "OUCHAMAGOUCHA!!!" However, I applaud your decision!

Not only has circumcision been conclusively shown to decrease the risk of HIV in men having sex with women, it also appears to decrease the risk of several other STDs in men (HSV-2 and HPV). It even appears to decrease the risk of several STDs in women. Women who have sex with circumcised men have decreases risk for acquiring Trichomonas and genital herpes. (Jury still out on whether circumcision protects gay men against HIV.)

As for "who thought up the idea of circumcision in the first place," I have no idea. If I had to take a guess, I'd say "Moses!"

Good luck with your rip and tuck!

Ever retracted a WOO HOO? UK HIV advisor (3 MONTHS VERSUS 6 MONTHS)
Prevention equals condoms. Period. Right? (HIV PREVENTION SPECTRUM 2009)