The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

I too have burning mouth problems from cunnilingus

May 1, 2009

Doctors seam to ignor people when they say they have burning mouth problems. Why? How can you say "there is nothing wrong with you" when you have symptoms?

Response from Dr. Frascino


Because we are doctors, that's why. Besides what the doctors are saying is that based on your medical history, possibly some laboratory tests and a physical examination there doesn't appear to be anything medically wrong with your mouth. That doesn't mean it doesn't burn and it also doesn't mean there isn't anything wrong some place else that's causing your problem. For instance, frequently when folks feel guilty about engaging in a sexual activity they begin to worry they may have contracted HIV or some other ailment. They then read about "symptoms," like burning mouth or thrush, and BAM, just like that they suddenly think they have it. Just take a read through the archives and you'll get a sense of just how someone's psychosomatic illness really is. We're not saying your symptoms aren't real. We're just saying that it's not related to HIV (or to your canyon yodeling, etc.). If a physician (and even perhaps an ENT specialist providing a second opinion) can find nothing physician wrong with your mouth, you should be evaluated for psychosomatic illness as a cause. Give it a try. It certainly couldn't hurt, right?

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Q&A Fast and Easy... the way I like it ;)
RE: UPDATE: Bio student!

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint