oral sex hiv

Dear Doctor Bob,

I am 50 years old and married. Recently I had insertive oral sex on one of my trips to Europe with a female sex worker.

Consequent to that I have had unprotected sex with my wife . I am extremely nervous, worried and totally in a state of tension about having contrarcted hiv and transmitted it to my wife.

It has been over three months since the episode and my health has been normal, but the worry lingers.

Should I get tested ?

Please advise and answer my question as life seems at a standstill for me.

Deeply appreciate your advice available on the site. Earnestly request your response.

Regards,

JG

Hi JG,

The HIV-acquisition risk from unprotected insertive oral sex is extremely low. However, because you are "extremely nervous, worried and in a state of total tension about having contracted HIV", I'd suggest:

1. Level with your wife. Your guilt is primarily what is making you feel so awful. Telling the truth not only is the best way to confront your guilt; it's also the right thing to do. You could then use condoms with your wife until your definitive three-month test re-confirms your negative HIV status.

2. Get a single HIV test at the three-month mark. I'm quite confident the result will be negative. Review the information in the archives of this forum. You should find it both enlightening and reassuring.

Good luck!

massage and menstrual blood
Laundry together with HIV person's clothes