The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

oral sex hiv

Apr 28, 2009

Dear Doctor Bob,

I am 50 years old and married. Recently I had insertive oral sex on one of my trips to Europe with a female sex worker.

Consequent to that I have had unprotected sex with my wife . I am extremely nervous, worried and totally in a state of tension about having contrarcted hiv and transmitted it to my wife.

It has been over three months since the episode and my health has been normal, but the worry lingers.

Should I get tested ?

Please advise and answer my question as life seems at a standstill for me.

Deeply appreciate your advice available on the site. Earnestly request your response.



Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi JG,

The HIV-acquisition risk from unprotected insertive oral sex is extremely low. However, because you are "extremely nervous, worried and in a state of total tension about having contracted HIV", I'd suggest:

1. Level with your wife. Your guilt is primarily what is making you feel so awful. Telling the truth not only is the best way to confront your guilt; it's also the right thing to do. You could then use condoms with your wife until your definitive three-month test re-confirms your negative HIV status.

2. Get a single HIV test at the three-month mark. I'm quite confident the result will be negative. Review the information in the archives of this forum. You should find it both enlightening and reassuring.

Good luck!

Dr. Bob

massage and menstrual blood
Laundry together with HIV person's clothes

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint