confused kiwi

Hi again Doc!!

Thanks for your thoughtfull answer. It truly was a one off occurence.....no really it was!!!

Thanks for putting my mind at ease also.

The reason I am worried even after my three and four month tests is because of the illness I had at three months. This lasted for couple of weeks and I hstill have swollen glands even though other symptoms subsided 3 weeks ago.

I am just concerned that if my seroconversion illness (if thats what it was) was at 3 months, that it may have meant my three month test was too soon. My glands are still up so maybe my four month test was invalid also.

I just don't know what has caused my nodes to stay up. I was tested at the start of my illness for mono but was negative. What else could it be???

That is the reason why I seem to be unjustifiably worried. Please ease my mind!

I think you do an awesome job. I have already donated to the NZ Aids Foundation and will donate to you shortly also. This past couple of months has highlighted what some people must go through and I haven't even tested positive. I hope it stays that way.

Cheers

George

Hi Confused Kiwi,

There are literally thousands of medical conditions that are associated with swollen glands (in addition to mono and HIV). You've essentially ruled out mono and HIV from your list of possibilities. Unfortunately I can't diagnose the exact cause of your symptoms over the Internet. However, I can advise you that HIV is not the cause. Follow up with your general medical doctor if you have persistent symptoms. Just remember HIV is not your problem, OK?

Thanks for your donation to the Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation (www.concertedeffort.org) and the NZ AIDS Foundation.

Be well mate! (You are indeed well.)

Confused Apr 24, 2009

Hi Dr.

I am a New Zealander.

I am straight but had an experience with another male on the 19th of December. I performed oral sex on him and I think I got some ejaculate in my mouth.

I was fine until mid march three months later when I got a very snotty nose, a sore throat, and my glands in my neck popped up.

On the 24th of March I had an hiv blood test at a sexual health clinic. It came back negative.

I was satisfied with this until my family Dr mentioned 6 month testing. My anxiety shot up and I haven't slept properly since. Also very anxious. Still have glands up although my cold has been gone for two weeks. On Tuesday this week - the 21st of April, I went to the New Zealand Aids Foundation for a unigold rapid test. Again it was negative. The consellor there told me my 3 month test was conclusive and tyhe 4 month one even more so. Why is that not consistent with what my Dr told me??

The Aids Foundation told me that they had never had anyone test negative at three months and then test positive later.

What is your take on it?? Am I safe or is further testing required?? Are NZ's testing procedures up to scratch. Look forward to hearing your educated views.

Regards

George

Hello Confused Kiwi-George,

You're straight but you're worried about HIV because you got some baby batter in your mouth while sucking another guy off??? Hmm . . . OK, if you say so George. I'll believe you. Millions wouldn't, but I will!

Your negative HIV test three months after that gay guy's penis mysteriously wound up in your mouth is definitive and conclusive. HIV is not your problem. No way. No how. No additional HIV testing is warranted.

Oral sex in general carries only a very slight risk for HIV transmission/acquisition.

As for what your doctor told you, older guidelines did use a six-month window period. Certainly you could opt to take another test at 6 months. However, personally I do not feel it's warranted. The result will undoubtedly be negative.

Be well New Zealander, whichever side of the proverbial fence you eventually end up on.

A real scare there!
Guest Speaker Transmission