Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

I don't think you've heard this one before!
Apr 27, 2009

Fist I would like to say I went on a few other forums, like medhelp and what-not, but no one answers my question. Now I'm having panic attacks thinking no one will help because they don't want to scare me. So I came here! I feel bad writing in because I know you are bombarded with questions. But here it goes...

I bought a headband from a clothing store and about 19 hours later I decided to clean the headband before I wore it. As I got a bit of rubbing alcohol and some toilet paper, I rubbed the soaked toilet paper around the headband. When I looked at the toilet paper I noticed I had rubbed off what seemed to be diluted blood. If this was HIV infected blood and I had just cut my palm of my hand pretty bad to where it bled, would this be a risk?

I know HIV blood doesn't stay active after it leaves the body but...

1. Is 18-19 hours enough time to become INACTIVE (NOT ACTIVE)?

2. And since the rubbing alcohol re-moistened the blood, would it become re-active because it was no longer dry blood, but wet??

I will send the $30 I primarily gave to the other website for 2 questions that were never answered, and I will gather another $30 for you and your foundation!

P.S Since the headband is black, could it be the dye that the rubbing alcohol rubbed off? It was light pink, and the headband was black so that's why it's hard to believe it was dye.

My prayers and best wishes are always with you. Thank you

You are in my prayes

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

Relax Max. You probably didn't get a response from the other sites because your HIV-acquisition risk is completely nonexistent.

To specifically address your questions:

1. Yes.

2. No, HIV never reactivates.

3. Yes, it most likely was dye or some other non-toxic, non-infectious substance rubbing off.

Thanks for your donation to the Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation (www.concertedeffort.org). Now stop all this needless completely unwarranted worry, OK?

Be well. (Yes, you are well!)

Dr. Bob

Previous
Frequency of testing?
Next
Good-luck karma

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.