Confused

Hi Dr.

I am a New Zealander.

I am straight but had an experience with another male on the 19th of December. I performed oral sex on him and I think I got some ejaculate in my mouth.

I was fine until mid march three months later when I got a very snotty nose, a sore throat, and my glands in my neck popped up.

On the 24th of March I had an hiv blood test at a sexual health clinic. It came back negative.

I was satisfied with this until my family Dr mentioned 6 month testing. My anxiety shot up and I haven't slept properly since. Also very anxious. Still have glands up although my cold has been gone for two weeks. On Tuesday this week - the 21st of April, I went to the New Zealand Aids Foundation for a unigold rapid test. Again it was negative. The consellor there told me my 3 month test was conclusive and tyhe 4 month one even more so. Why is that not consistent with what my Dr told me??

The Aids Foundation told me that they had never had anyone test negative at three months and then test positive later.

What is your take on it?? Am I safe or is further testing required?? Are NZ's testing procedures up to scratch. Look forward to hearing your educated views.

Regards

George

Hello Confused Kiwi-George,

You're straight but you're worried about HIV because you got some baby batter in your mouth while sucking another guy off??? Hmm . . . OK, if you say so George. I'll believe you. Millions wouldn't, but I will!

Your negative HIV test three months after that gay guy's penis mysteriously wound up in your mouth is definitive and conclusive. HIV is not your problem. No way. No how. No additional HIV testing is warranted.

Oral sex in general carries only a very slight risk for HIV transmission/acquisition.

As for what your doctor told you, older guidelines did use a six-month window period. Certainly you could opt to take another test at 6 months. However, personally I do not feel it's warranted. The result will undoubtedly be negative.

Be well New Zealander, whichever side of the proverbial fence you eventually end up on.

My 6th Try: Please help
Poppers, Alcohol & Oral Sex