Third world country thankful guy

Dr. Bob: First of all Thank you for your answer. It made me feel so much better. It's funny, but it was difficult accepting the fact that im HIV negative. Second, To all of you who live in fear of having hiv as I did for almost a yer, get tested today. Its the best thing you can do. Stop playing doctor internet, stop looking for thrush in your mouth, stop feeling your lymph nodes, youll just go insane as I did. And las other thing, stop accusing Dr. Bob for discrimination, just have some patience and respect. Thank you Dr. Bob for everything.

Hi Third World Country Thankful Guy,

Thanks for your thanks and for taking the time to write back and share your good news and newfound insights.

WOO-HOO!

Be well. Stay well.

Third world country insane guy Apr 16, 2009

Well, Im a 32 year old guy and I had unprotected sex, with a street hooker in El Salvador, 11 months ago. I developed some kind of rash that wont go away on my forehead. My doctor said it was telangectasias and only lasser would help. Besides Ive had a chronic sinusitis through all 2009. I confess, Ive been anxious, paranoic and stupid. I check every inch of my body seeking signs or symptoms of HIV every day. I take my body temperature twice a day. Nevertheless, in a momentary lapse of reason, I took an Elisa test 8 months after exposure (january, 2009) in a decent hospital in my undeveloped country and it came back negative. I think you and Dr. Steve are wonderful people. Turns out youre HIV specialists and shrinks at the same time. Im sure you must find a lot of our questions really weird for not saying dumb. I read one related to toilet water, thet made me feel mentally healthy, and you awswered to it kindky. I really think that youre both great. You are and example to all doctors and all humans. Yes, my question. My sinus and skin conditions are still present. ¿Should I be tested again for hiv? ¿What are the probabilities of a false Elisa negative result? ¿Should I find a good psychologist instead?

Hello Third World Country Insane Guy,

Thanks for your kind comments.

Unprotected sex does place you at some degree of risk for STDs, including HIV. However, a negative ELISA at eight months is definitive and conclusive proof that you are HIV negative.

Regarding "symptoms," please note a negative ELISA outside the window period trumps symptoms each and every time. Telangectasias are not a symptom associate with HIV/AIDS. If these are bothering you, see a dermatologist for treatment. (Laser therapy can be very effective!) For your chronic sinus symptoms, if your general medical doctor can't help, you should see an ENT (ear, nose and throat) specialist. It's important to remember these conditions are not related to HIV. No way. No how. No additional HIV testing is warranted.

False-negative test results are not a problem with ELISA tests. (They are highly sensitive tests and would err on the side of false-positives rather than false negatives.)

Should you find a good psychologist? Yes, this is probably a good idea for several reasons. First, you seem to have developed an irrational fear of being HIV infected. ("I check every inch of my body seeking signs or symptoms of HIV every day.") This is not healthy. You have overwhelming proof that HIV is not your problem and yet you continue to perseverate on this disease. A good psychotherapist will help you accept the truly wonderful news that you dodged the HIV bullet and are unquestionably HIV negative. Second, you report being "anxious, paranoic (sic), and stupid." The psychotherapist will be able to treat your anxiety and help you cope with your guilt feelings stemming from your lapse of judgment. I think you're being too hard on yourself. We are all human, which means we all make mistakes, even yours truly. What's important is to admit our indiscretions, accept responsibility for our actions and to learn from our mistakes. Remember the higher powers gave men a brain and a penis, but only enough blood to run one at a time.

Stop worrying! Start WOO-HOOing! OK?

finally you are wrong!
Is God punishing me?