Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

i donated previously and will do again
Apr 23, 2009

Dear Great Dr Bob, Your site is brilliant and the way you answer the worried guys is marvelous.I wish you may calm my fears and help me through this stressful situation.I have donated several months ago and i intend to do so again because i believe that each one of us can do a lot in the battle against this dreadful disease.I know that in the archives there are many similar cases but i am in a situation that i really need an answer from you directly to me.10 days ago while i was having sex with a prostitute the condom broke,i probably was inside her for a minute or so before i discovered that it broke.It was completely exposed from the front. she assured me that she is hiv free.what i know for sure is that she goes regularly to a doctor for a check up but wheteher it is true that hiv test is performed as she claims i cant be sure.The last check up was 3 months ago.She is not into drugs at all and she always use condoms.The country where i live is extremely low in hiv infections and she is from kazakhstan where hiv infections are quite low as well.How do you assess my risk? i know i must go for an hiv test after 12 weeks form the exposure but what i need most is your never failing good karma. By the way i have been to Italy several times and i love the place .it is the most romantic country ever. God bless you. Regards and many thanks. G.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi G,

There are many, many similar questions already posted in the archives (have a look!), so I'll be brief. The estimated per-act risk for acquiring HIV from unprotected (or broken-condom) penile-vaginal sex with a partner confirmed to be HIV positive is 5 per 10,000 exposures. Your estimated risk would be even lower, as we don't know the status of your Kazakhstan-Kathy. I would say the odds are very much in your favor that you did not contract HIV from this episode.

One thing to consider is going with your gal-pal to get a rapid HIV test now. If she tests negative, you can relax considerably, because the only remaining risk would involve her being in her window period. The odds of this being the case would be remote at best.

Thanks for your donation to the Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation (www.concertedeffort.org). In return I'm sending you my good-luck karma that your definitive three-month test is negative.

Good luck!

Dr. Bob

Previous
Circumcision and HIVrecent study from New England Journal of Medicine
Next
Coconut Oil and HIV tests

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.