Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

OCD, HIV, and Donation
Apr 21, 2009

Hi doctor, first I'd like to donate some money to your foundation, which I will do so first thing before work tomorrow morning! I just had a quick question for you...

I have pretty bad OCD about HIV, I had taken 10 Rapid tests in 3 months at HIV clinics. I have finally gotten over getting tested!! But now, I worry about those 10 times going into the clinics if I had touched the door knobs/handles after having paper cuts and dry and minor peeling hands.

Is this a risk if there was blood on any of these door handles, or tables or chairs? Having minor cuts and peeling hands?

I also have used the restroom at the clinic a few times, what if I sat on or touched HIV infected blood? (I am a woman)

I feel so worried because I have been in and out of these clinics so much, what if I'm bound to touch a bloody surface? This is strictly a clinic that deals with HIV+ folks. Please give me some insight, thank you so much.

One LAST question, does this even sound like OCD or just hypochondria? Do you feel like therapy would help? I look forward to your response :)

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

Your concerns about visiting HIV clinics, touching doorknobs or other inanimate objects and using the restroom facilities are completely unwarranted. If HIV were that easy to acquire, why would anyone go to a doctor's office, hospital, STD clinic or HIV testing site??? And what about all the folks who work there? Do you think they are all HIV infected or that they don't have to pee during the day? Come on; be reasonable.

OCD or just hypochondriacal? I say perhaps a bit of both, but definitely more on the OCD side. Psychotherapy is indeed warranted. More testing and/or more worry are not.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Under aged sex
Next
scared and confused

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.