Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Please Help ME!
Apr 21, 2009

Dear Doctors

We are a couple and we have some questions for you. This is our circumstances. We have been going out for around 5 months and have been having sex for around 4 months. We have had unprotected sex during this time. As we both had had tests before we got together. My boyfriend has got test results proving he was negative before we got together.

I thought i was negative however after some research on the net for causes i explain later i'm now not so sure. I had slept with my previous boyfriend (Half brazilian half Italian) once unprotected, and then i had a test about 4 weeks later which was negative but i'm not exactly sure on the timing. However after that date i'm pretty sure that condoms were used every single time but not always immediatly, i didn't sleep with him very many times after that date.

My boyfriend has now been ill a few time recently, however in the last few days he has had ulcers, a very slight sore throat and has had a rash appear on his stomach and chest, it's pink and blotchy. He has been under a lot of stress recently due to a death in the family and a change in living circumstances. I was wondering if these things could be stress related.

Please help as i'm worried i have now infected him.

Many thanks Amy.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi Amy,

A half-Brazilian/half-Italian ex-boyfriend? WOWZA, with a combination like that, he must have been a Hottie McHottie Stud Muffin.

As for your concerns, a negative HIV test four weeks after a potential exposure is not considered to be a conclusive result. You need to wait until the three-month mark for a definitive test result.

As for your current boyfriend's medical problems, please note "symptoms" are notoriously unreliable in determining who is and is not HIV infected. I would suggest you get a rapid HIV test. You'll have a definitive answer in as few as 20 minutes. If you're negative, as I predict you will be, you can stop worrying about having transmitted the virus to your current guy.

Could stress be contributing to your boyfriend's symptoms? Sure. However, as always, if he feels he's put himself at risk for HIV, he should get tested as well (three months from the last potential exposure).

Good luck to you both.

Dr. Bob

Previous
A heartfelt thanks:)
Next
I DARE YOU TO POST THIS

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.