Thank you Dr. Bob

Hi Doc

I wanted to thank you for all the information posted on this site.

I recently received an indeterminate test result (only p24 equivocal) which was tested after 2 months from possible exposure (I'm not sure if my partner was positive) so I took another test after 14 weeks. Received my test result today and it came out negative. The doctor advised I take another test at the 6 months mark just to be on the safe side.

Two comments from your archive saved me from going insane with panic and shock.

1. My first test was only WB, don't know why but my OBGYN did not take an ELISA and to make matters worse, she didn't notify me that my test result was indeterminate....I only asked for the results just to keep for my records...and that's when I saw "indeterminate"

2. Your comments that if you had been pregnant in the past, WB could give false positives gave me strength...I am usually very in tune with my body cycle, and it was a little off when I took my first test.

One thing I wanted everyone to know is that my second test was taken at the state healthcare centre and when I asked for an ELISA before WB, they advised me to take the WB only (which is not what you recommend) and that you can only take ELISA anonymously and not the WB. Is this usually the case?

I am hoping at the six months mark, the test results still come back negative.

Thank you again, you are the best.

I don't know what "state healthcare centre" you went to, but they and your OB/GYN doctor are ordering Western Blot tests inappropriately. They should only be run to confirm a repeatedly reactive ELISA (EIA or rapid test). Put another way, a positive ELISA is a criterion for Western Blot testing! Period. Please ask your OB/GYN and healthcare center to check with their HIV physician specialists to clear up their misunderstanding.

Crazy question, I know.Searched Archives and found nothing.
16 and alone