The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

window period of older man

Apr 20, 2009

Hi Dr. I am a 65 earold Asian. In a trip come back to my country, on Mid Sep and Oct 08/2008 I had protected sex with unknown hiv ladies. Tmake sure, I ome to my Dr for check and got Elisa tests at 20 weeks for the 1st and 16 weeks for the 2nd. The results Negative and no other STd. Dr guarranted that I wasn't infected but told me come back at 6 monhts for a confirmatve test by law. I didn't have any syntom and my health is relative normal. I still working. Could you give m an advice: Do i need take a test at 6 monthS? And is there any diferent abou window period between a young and a older man like me. Thank ou so much for your help.

Response from Dr. Frascino


The HIV window period does not change with age. It's the same for horny college kids and sexy granddaddies.

You had "protected sex." Consequently your HIV risk would be essentially nonexistent if the latex condoms were used properly and did not break. Your negative HIV tests at 16 weeks from your last possible exposure are definitive and conclusive. Older very conservative guidelines recommend testing out to six months. However, newer guidelines suggest three months is definitive, assuming there are no extenuating circumstances. Considering your exposures were "protected," I see no medical reason to retest at six months.

Be well.

Dr. Bob

I think this is good news???
Mike /did i get hiv follow up

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint