Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

I think this is good news???
Apr 20, 2009

Dear Dr. Rob,

On November 16, 2008 I sent an e-mail questioning the accuracy of the 38 day HIV antibody test. I finally got up enough courage to get tested again. It came back negative, but I am not sure if I should be excited regarding the results. I bought the test kit at CVS and followed the instructions on the box correctly. When I called the hotline number they said I tested negative for HIV 1. How accurate is the test result? Should I go to a lab to have my blood drawn like the first test I did. sHOULD i GET TESTED FOR HIV 2. It has been 9 months since my last sexual experience, except with my husband.

I made him wear a condum the past 9 months, because I was afraid I was infected with the virus. I told him i was not able to take the birth control pills.

I cheated on my husband and followed your advice. I am seeing a therapist on a weekly basis to help me deal with everything I put myself and my family through the past year. I plan on telling my husband in the near future with the help of my therapist.

I want to let everyone know that I thought I had every symptom in the book. I think I am finally at peace. The only way to find inner peace is to get tested....I am so grateful for you site. You are an inspration.

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

Yes, this is excellent news!

The test kit you purchased at CVS is the Home Access Express Test. It's the only FDA-approved home test kit available in the U.S. It uses a double EIA (enzyme immunoassay) with a confirmatory IFA (immunofluorescence assay). The sensitivity and specificity of this test approaches 100%. It's extremely accurate. Your nine-month negative test is definitive and conclusive. HIV is not your problem. No way. No how. WOO-HOO and congratulations.

I'm also delighted you are seeing a therapist and plan on leveling with your husband. It's definitely the right thing to do.

Good luck. Be well!

Dr. Bob

Previous
Dr. Bob please answer, eagerly awaiting response -Contracted MRSA and Herpes from being rimmed Follow Up Questions
Next
window period of older man

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.