Poor Judgment in Mexico - resubmitted from Fatigue and Anemia Forum

Dr. Bob, This is re-submitted from the Fatigue & anemia Forum.

What happens in Mexico may not always stay in Mexico. My wife and I vacationed there two years ago. We had unprotected sex with another couple. The woman who I was with, accidently scratched my penis before vaginal and breif anal sex.

One month later, I had an unexplained rash on my stomach.

One year later, I began having swollen lymph nodes in my armpits. I tested negative for HIV 1/2. Symptoms persisted and have increased to include swollen nodes under chin, clavical area, floaters, shooting pains in pads of feet, numbness in arms, hands and fingers, Lower CD 4 (550 to 417).

From 12 months to 20 months post contnact, I have had 4 Ellisa tests, 1 Western Blot for HIV I and one viral load test, all were negative.

The woman I had sex with refuses to comment but said that she has "body issues." I know that she has psorisis on her legs.

My wife is now experiencing a matching rash on both sides of her body (papular pruritic eruptions/psorisis) She is scheduld to see a skin Dr. in three weeks.

Of course we are both concerned and scared. My wife is an angel (the Mexico fling was my and Jose Cuervo's idea).

What do you suggest we do now. Could this be the rarer type "O" that our US tests may not detect? Should I have a Western Blot to detect HIV II? Our sex partners were not West Africans, but i'm finding that it is a small world.

The diagnostic company that did my initial testing has told me that the EIA test covered "all known subtypes.

Could my immune system be as such that it does not create an immune response?

The symptoms say HIV but test indicate otherwise.

My wife and I would appreciate your apprasial and direction.

Best regards and respect,

Steve and Carrie

Hello Steve, Carrie (and Jose Cuervo),

Your repeatedly negative HIV tests are definitive, conclusive and excessive. HIV is not your problem. No way. No how. No additional HIV-related tests are warranted. You've had way too many already. The reason your tests keep coming back negative is that you do not have HIV! I can't say it any plainer than that.

Whatever is causing your symptoms, one thing is absolutely certain: It's not HIV!

My advice is to stop chasing a disease you could not possibly have! See a general internist to evaluate any persistent or recurrent medical problems you may be experiencing. I can't diagnose these over the Internet. But what I can do with great certainty is advise you they are not caused by HIV!

Big VL jump; time for meds?
Dr. Bob please answer, eagerly awaiting response -Contracted MRSA and Herpes from being rimmed Follow Up Questions