ear

Hello Dr. Bob. The other day I was walking outside in a crowded area and some small speck (which felt wet) flew into my ear. I've read the outer ear and ear canal do not have any mucous membranes, but that the lining of the middle ear does. I know the speck landed in my outer ear region, but when I went home (about 15-20 mins later) I gently cleaned the ear with a q-tip and alcohol. I was careful to just clean the opening of the ear canal and NOT jam the q-tip in too far...but if there was something infectious in the ear, could I have pushed it so it would move past the ear drum to the middle ear, exposing it to a mucous membrane? I think I would have known if I hit the eardrum with the q-tip...plus I read the ear canal is around 26mm, and the portion of the q-tip isn't even half of this dimension. I know I'm paranoid and hve ocd, but I always like to check with you to make sure. Thanks Dr Bob!

You would have definitely known if you rammed a q-tip through your eardrum. (OUCHAMAGOUCHA!)

I agree you have OCD and are overly paranoid about HIV. I recommend counseling and more aggressive treatment of your OCD. You may "always like to check" with me to make sure. However, I am not an OCD psychotherapist. Nor can I reassure your every (unwarranted) worry. Sorry.

Superinfection Real?
can i get HIV