Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

NEED INFO re HIV, AIDS, CVID & IgA &
Apr 17, 2009

Hello Dr. Bob,

I am very impressed with the way you try to help people who are dealing with HIV and AIDS. I've also read your posts regarding CVID and IgA. I am still a bit confused about a couple of things though.

If a person has 'mild' CVID and they contract HIV, would they, *because of their already compromised immune system*, be likely to develop AIDS faster than a 'normal healthy' person? Would the current drugs available to fight infections be less effective because of their already compromised immune system?

Likewise, would a person who suffers from a mild IgA deficiency and who contracts HIV, be likely to develop AIDS faster than a 'normal, healthy' person? Would current drugs be less effective because of their previous condition?

What would be the *least* amount of time that these patients might develop AIDS? What would be the *longest* time before they might develop AIDS?

I would appreciate ANY information you might be able to give me.

Thank you in advance, Joy

PS My husband's name is 'Bob' so I really like your title! :)

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi Joy,

The "V" in CVID stands for "variable" reflecting the fact that the severity of this condition varies considerably from case to case. If indeed the severity is "mild," a person with CVID and HIV would not develop AIDS faster than a "normal healthy person." Antiretrovirals would be equally effective with or without CVID.

The same applies to mild IgA deficiency.

The time to AIDS for mild CVID and mild selective IgA deficiency would also be identical to that of "normal healthy persons" as well. There is no "least" and "longest" times. It's very variable from person to person.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Not happy with Dr. Bob :(
Next
Healthcare/Acupuncturist

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.